Iowa Microsoft Settlement Program
Program will run from January 1, 2015 to June 30, 2017
Focus on PK-3 literacy
Iowa DE Microsoft WebSite Link - go to this site for the list of eligible schools and more!
To change or update your Microsoft Settlement application for the 2nd Cy Pres Program, you must be logged in as a district on the Iowa Education Portal. It can be found under "Microsoft Settlement". Access the Iowa Education Portal here: Iowa Education Portal.
Funding for the 2nd round of Microsoft dollars breaks down to $71.95 (was $65.89) per student total.
- Updated! GPV $24.38 per student! (was GPV $19.71 per student)
- Updated! SPV $47.57 per student! (was SPV $46.18 per student)
Buildings should use the figure in the last column titled enrollment per school of the eligibility spreadsheets to determine their funding amount. There are additional funds (small) for schools from the first cy pres who successful participated in the teacher data report to PERL.
NEW! Teacher Usage Survey to begin in November
Arlene de la Mora, researcher, Research Institute for Studies in Education (RISE) is in the process of finalizing the data collection website for the Microsoft Settlement 2nd Cy Pres Program. Many of you may remember Arlene from the last round of data collection when it was operated by PERL. Arlene anticipates that data entry will become available in the early part of November, 2015. The website will look very similar to the one previously used, however, major changes have been made to facilitate data entry:
- The url for the website is: https://msp-rise-hs.sws.iastate.edu/. The website will become live when it is finalized sometime late October or early November. An instruction manual will be made available when the site is finalized.
- School terms have been automatically set for one entire year (rather than semesters, trimesters, etc.), with a start date of September 1, 2015 and an end date of May 30th. These dates can be easily changed by the building administrator but because it is set, teachers can begin entering data as soon as possible.
- Unlike the previous round, we have removed constraints that prevented teachers from entering data for two or more months back. What remains the same is that teachers have to wait until the end of the month to enter that month’s data (eg., October data are entered in November) and that all data have to be entered by June 30th.
- Teachers and Principals/Grant Managers no longer have to submit assurance forms prior to entering data.
- Schools no longer have to add teachers and classrooms to the site. This information will be uploaded on your behalf using the data schools provided during the application process.
- All users will need to activate an account by registering their email address and creating a password prior to accessing the site the first time. Teachers can begin entering data once this process has been completed.
- Teachers will be asked to enter the number of days they used each of the strategies, hardware, and software listed on the school’s application. If you have a copy of the items added to your application, you can use it to share with teachers - the info will be the same. You can also use it to begin collecting data now.
02/11/2015 Microsoft Settlement 2nd Cy Pres Update
This is the latest announcement from the claims administrator. A Balance Statement and Voucher Redemption Form for each eligible school in your district will be emailed in late February. Balance Statement information will also be available online in late February.
If you with wish to start the reimbursement process before you receive a voucher, please email your documentation in PDF format to the Claims Administrator at claimsadmin@IowaSchoolMicrosoftSettlement.com. If you have submitted your documentation without vouchers, you will need to submit the vouchers when you have received them. Please have the authorized contacts sign the vouchers and then email them to the Claims Administrator. The Claims Administrator will not be able to release payment until they have received a signed voucher. Note that this award is separate from, and in addition to, any Standard or Volume License claim that your district may have previously filed with the Claims Administrator.
Remember that you must email John O’Connell when you have certified your application so that he can review it. You can complete your application or file for an addendum up to March 30, 2017.
If you have any questions or concerns, contract John O'Connell at email@example.com or 515-249-0334.
Check out the: K-3 Literacy Approved items list - note this list was created by Keystone and will be updated when possible. For the complete list of MS approved items, go to the Iowa Schools Microsoft Settlement site, and download the entire spreadsheet of items.
List of Keystone Eligible Schools - This is the list of Keystone schools eligible to participate in the Microsoft Settlement 2nd Cy Pres Program. Please contact us if you have a question about eligibility at your school.
Schools Qualifying for PERL Survey Boost - Schools that successfully participated in the PERL survey for the 1st Cy Pres are going to receive a $4.00 per student boost in their 2nd Cy Pres allocation. The boost will be split 50/50 between the General Purpose Voucher (GPV) and Software Purpose Voucher (SPV) categories. Don't forget to check this list to see if your school is eligible for the additional $4.00 per student.
Application Template for 2nd CyPress.docx - Template for the online 2nd Cy Pres application.
Assurances Document - Each building wishing to apply for the MS 2nd Cy Pres program will have to fill out the this Assurance document. An exception is made for districts with multiple buildings. The superintendent and IT director can sign the main copy and the district can attach a sheet with a table with the building names and the principal's signatures. This is to avoid the superintendent and IT director from having to sign multiple times.
Email your signed Assurances document to firstname.lastname@example.org by Dec. 19th!
**You can then complete the application at a later date if you wish, or you can finish it in general terms and then ask to make an addendum at any time up to March 30, 2017.
**If you wish to start spending after January 1, 2015, you need to get the application completed ASAP, and an email sent to John.OConnell@iowa.gov saying it is ready for review. Once reviewed, your school will receive an email notification from John, either containing approval or asking for clarification. The claims administrator will then be notified.
Iowa Schools Microsoft Settlement website - Use this link for FAQs, product eligibility lists and voucher submissions.
To contact by email: ClaimsAdmin@IowaSchoolMicrosoftSettlement.com
P.O. Box 195
Minneapolis, MN 55440-0195
John O'Connell contact Information:
By Email: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
K-3 Literacy Approved items list - note this list was created by Keystone and will be updated when possible. For the complete list of MS approved items, go to the Iowa Schools Microsoft Settlement site, and download the entire spreadsheet of items.
Microsoft Presentation by John O'Connell