Keystone Area Education Agency will be offering the required training course for the Iowa Substitute Authorization. This authorization allows an individual to substitute in a middle school, junior high school, or high school. If you are a Certified Paraeducator, this assigned special education classroom may be at the elementary, middle school, junior high school or high school level.
The four core components of the course are Classroom Management, Strategies for Learning, Diversity, and Ethics. Upon successful completion of the program the participant may apply to the Board of Educational Examiners for a license, ($85 issuance fee.) A state and federal background check is required, ($65 background fee.) Local districts have the option of hiring individuals with the Substitute Authorization. It does not guarantee employment. Please check with your local district.
Anyone who meets the following five criteria is eligible to receive this new authorization:
1. Has achieved at least one of the following: (1) holds a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution,
OR (2) has completed an approved Paraeducator Certification Program and holds a Paraeducator Certificate.
2. Has attained a minimum age of 21 years.
3. Has successfully completed an Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation background check.
4. Has successfully completed a National Criminal History background check.
5. Has successfully completed all the requirements of an approved Substitute Authorization course.
What are the requirements to get my Substitute Authorization?
The following must be sent in to the Board of Educational Examiners:
- A complete application form.
- $150.00 ($85.00 issuance fee, $65.00 background fee) check or money order made payable to the Board of Educational Examiners, Licensure, Grimes State Office Building, 400 E. 14th St., Des Moines, IA 50319-0147.
- Completed fingerprint cards and waiver form.
- Official verification (transcript) of completion of the 15 contact hour (minimum) course required for the Substitute Authorization.
- Official transcript showing a bachelor’s degree or a paraeducator certificate.
Renewal of Authorization
The period of renewal for this authorization is once every three years. At the time of renewal you will need to submit verification of two 15 contact hour courses taken within the three year period from the date your Authorization was issued, the renewal application form, documentation of Mandatory Child and Dependent Adult Abuse training and the renewal fee.
The Substitute Authorization course is 20-clock hour training at Keystone AEA, 1400 Second St., Elkader, IA.
The course dates are:
- January 31-Feb 2, 2014, 9:00 am – 6:00 pm
The course number is 11428 – Substitute Authorization. No late registrations or walk-ins will be accepted. A minimum of 10 participants is required to make the course a “go”. Participants must attend all sessions. Course fee will be $115.00. Keystone AEA reserves the right to cancel the program due to low enrollment. Notification of cancellation will be made to those registered.
To register for the class go to this link on the Keystone AEA page: https://etc.aea1.k12.ia.us/lr1.htm Registration deadline is January 10, 2014. If you have any questions, contact Dee O’Brien at 1-800-632-5918, ext 1465, or firstname.lastname@example.org during regular business hours.