Keystone Area Education Agency will be offering the required training course for the Iowa Substitute Authorization. This authorization allows an individual to substitute in a PK-12 classroom. An individual who holds a Paraeducator Certificate without a bachelor’s degree and completes the substitute authorization program is authorized to substitute only in the special education classroom in which the individual paraeducator is employed.
The four core components of the course are Classroom Management, Strategies for Learning, Diversity, and Ethics. Upon successful completion of the program the participant may apply to the Board of Educational Examiners for a license, ($85 issuance fee.) A state and federal background check is required, ($65 background fee.) Local districts have the option of hiring individuals with the Substitute Authorization. It does not guarantee employment. Please check with your local district.
Anyone who meets the following five criteria is eligible to receive this new authorization:
- Has achieved at least one of the following: (1) holds a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution, OR (2) has completed an approved Paraeducator Certification Program and holds a Paraeducator Certificate.
- Has attained a minimum age of 21 years.
- Has successfully completed an Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation background check.
- Has successfully completed a National Criminal History background check.
- Has successfully completed all the requirements of an approved Substitute Authorization course.
What are the requirements to get my Substitute Authorization?
The following must be sent in to the Board of Educational Examiners:
- A complete application form.
- $150.00 ($85.00 issuance fee, $65.00 background fee) check or money order made payable to the Board of Educational Examiners, Licensure, Grimes State Office Building, 400 E. 14th St., Des Moines, IA 50319-0147.
- Completed fingerprint cards and waiver form.
- Official verification (transcript) of completion of the 15 contact hour (minimum) course required for the Substitute Authorization.
- Official transcript showing a bachelor’s degree or a paraeducator certificate.
Renewal of Authorization
The period of renewal for this authorization is once every three years. At the time of renewal you will need to submit verification of two 15 contact hour courses taken within the three year period from the date your Authorization was issued, the renewal application form, documentation of Mandatory Child and Dependent Adult Abuse training and the renewal fee.
The Substitute Authorization course is 20-clock hour training. The course dates are April 17, 5:00 pm – 9:00 pm; April 18 and 19, 2015, 9:00 am – 5:30 pm at Keystone AEA, 1400 Second Street NW, Elkader. The course number is 11516 – Substitute Authorization (Elkader).
No late registrations or walk-ins will be accepted. A minimum of 10 participants is required to make the course a “go”. Participants must attend all sessions. Course fee will be $115.00. Keystone AEA reserves the right to cancel the program due to low enrollment. Notification of cancellation will be made to those registered.
The registration deadline has been extended to April 7. If you have any questions, contact Kathy Wessel at 1-800-632-5918, ext 1320, or email@example.com during regular business hours.
To register for the class go to this link https://etc.aea1.k12.ia.us/lr1.htm. (Note: When filling out the ‘Registration Form’, select the open circle to the left of the word ‘Recert’. Even though you are not a teacher you need to select the recert option.)